Baldwin Rod Locomotives
For a larger image, please click on the photos below.
Number 1 0-4-0 Tank with Tender
First locomotive on the Little River, the #1 was an ex-Pennsylvania class A2 switcher, a tank engine which also had a slopeback tender. She served in yards and as the first road engine, she also took a good dunk in the river at Davis Cut near Sunshine. Sold to Conasauga Lumber Company, date unknown.
Number 77 2-6-0 Mogul
The second rod locomotive, 77 was purchased from Baldwin in 1903.Although her main duties were to serve on the common carrier trackage between the Forks and Walland, she couldn't handle the curves above the Forks. This proved sufficient reason to return her to Baldwin.
New at Baldwin, 1903
Number 103 2-6-2 Prairie
The third rod locomotive, 103 was purchased from Baldwin in 1903. Apparently she also was unable to handle the curves in the gorge and was returned to Baldwin.
New at Baldwin, 1903
Number 105 2-6-2 Prairie
Arriving new from Baldwin in 1904, the 105 was smaller, but proved adept at negotiating the gorge. She pulled many trains to Elkmont, as well as handling yard duties and interchange with the Southern Railway at Walland. A real beauty, she was often photographed heading passenger trains up the gorge, or posing on the turntable at Walland. She served well until sold in 1928 to Wilson Cypress Company in Florida.
Number 110 4-6-2 Pacific
Smallest Pacific ever built for standard guage in North America, the 110 was the pride of the Little River. Used primarily for passenger service, she served from 1911 to 1940 when sold to the Smoky Mountain Railroad. She became stranded at Shooks Gap in 1964, unable to cross a weakened trestle. She was saved by Terry Bloom in 1972, who restored her to her former glory. She now runs out of White Pigeon, Michigan. See Little River of Michigan
|New at Baldwin, 1911||New at Townsend, 1911||Townsend Shop||With Crew at Elkmont, 1918|
|At the Townsend Tank||Turning at Walland Turntable||Heading Mixed Train on Smoky Mtn||Restored in Indiana, 1975|
Number 126 2-4-4-2 Little River
The first 2-4-4-2 ever built, she couldn't handle the curves in the gorge and ended up on the west coast. Known as the "Skookum" on the Columbia River Belt Line Railway, Carlisle Lumber Company and Deep River Logging.
New at Baldwin, 1908
Number 148 2-4-4-2 Little River
Not to be discouraged, the Little River and Baldwin produced in 1909 the 148, with 44" drivers spaced at 60", and with a substantial weight reduction. This made all the difference, and 148 served well in service to Elkmont. With time for only one round trip a day, she pulled heavy log trains to the mill until the end of operations, and was scrapped in Townsend in 1940. And during tourist season she ran weekend excursions pulling heavyweight passenger cars.
Photo Album Pages:
|Baldwins||Shays||Railcars||Log Trains||Passenger Trains||Train Wrecks|
|Skidders||Loaders||Sawmill||Tannery||Construction||Little River Scenes|