Log Trains in the Mountains
Logging began on the West Prong in 1903, above the Forks, which was only three miles from the mill in Townsend. The West Prong is a smaller drainage, and being closer to the mill, the slower Shay locomotives sufficed. But by 1908 tracks had been laid up the East Prong gorge to Elkmont, some 18 miles from the mill.
For this longer run, the Little River used number 148, a 2-4-4-2 articulated locomotive, instead of Shays. Shays operated above Elkmont on the steep spurs that ran even up the flanks of Clingman's Dome (highest peak in the Smokies). The Shays marshaled their log trains in the Elkmont yard, and 148 hauled them down to the mill and brought back the empties. One round trip per day could be made.
As we look at the log trains, we'll see both types, with Shays in the upper reaches, and 148 in the gorge. Notice also that the Little River used two different kinds of log cars: standard flat cars, and skeleton log cars.
Shay 9, Log Train on Trestle Shay with Log Train 148 with Log Train in Gorge
Shay, Log Train near Elkmont Skeleton Car, Loader Shay from Rear, Log Train
148 with Log Train at Sinks Shay, Log Train, c. 1925 Meigs Ck, Above Swinging Bridge
Train of Empty Cars, c. 1915 Shay with Log Train Last Load Out of the Park, 1939
Photo Album Pages:
Baldwins Shays Railcars Log Trains Passenger Trains Train Wrecks
Skidders Loaders Sawmill Tannery Construction Little River Scenes