The Museum

The Little River Railroad and Lumber Company was founded in 1982 as a non-profit corporation. 

Our mission is to preserve the history of the Little River Railroad and the Little River Lumber Company.

 

   

Click on thumbnails for larger images.

Elkmont Post Office (Gift Shop) and Walland Depot (Exhibits)

Museum Buildings

In 1983 the original Walland Depot building was moved to the site, and now contains the primary collection of photographs, papers, tools and other smaller artifacts. This building was renovated in 1995-96, and new exhibits were created to tell the Little River story. Alongside the depot platform, museum volunteers have constructed a replica of the Elkmont Post Office which houses our Gift Shop. 

   

Our new shop building.

Outdoor Exhibits

The larger artifacts, including Shay 2147, a vintage caboose (L&N Class NE "Little Woody"), two vintage flatcars, a portable Frick steam engine, one of the original "setoff" houses (used for logging families in the mountains), a wooden water tank that was used in Walland and a log loader are displayed on the grounds.

Our plans include construction of a replica of a passenger platform.     

 

 Shay 2147 (Class C, 70 Ton, Built 1909
 Log Loader, Setoff House & Water Tower

Museum Hours:

June, July, August & October:    Daily and Saturday 10-5, Sunday 1-5

April, May & September, November:    Saturday 10-5, Sunday 1-5

December  through  March:    By appointment only (email or call)    Contact Us

 

Home  Locator Map    Museum Tour    Recent Projects    Grant Project    Brick Program    Site Plan    Rendering